What are Eggs Hemmingway? It is a little bit of an unfair question because you may know them as Eggs Montreal, eggs Norwegian, or by the very Quentin Tarantino-esque Eggs Royale. That is how I have always served them on menus, and they will make you an incredible Christmas Day breakfast. You will have most likely heard of Eggs Benedict well this dish, in my humble opinion, is a much nicer and definitely more extravagant dish.
Ernest Hemmingway and Food and Drink
Ernest Hemmingway was no slouch when it came to writing about food and drink. From the dozens of bars serving his favourite Margarita, there is even a Hemmingway Cookbook. ( For the purposes of research I have tried a couple of Hemmingway haunts in Key West ). I don’t agree with fillet of lion washed down with gin, but I do love Eggs Hemmingway.
Eggs Hemmingway or Royale?
So, what is the dish? Traditionally the dish is a toasted English Breakfast Muffin topped with Smoked Salmon, a soft poached free-range Egg, and some indulgent Hollandaise sauce. A real festive breakfast treat. In my slightly updated recipe, I have substituted the muffin for my toasted sun-blush tomato sourdough. For perfect poached eggs use the freshest eggs you can buy and a teaspoon of white wine or cider vinegar will help set the egg white. The secrets for a great Hollandaise are available by following this link for my step-by-step masterclass.
Eggs Hemmingway / Royale
- A small heavy-bottomed pan
- 4 free-range Eggs
- 2 slices Sun-blush Tomato Sourdough
- 160 gram quality Smoked Salmon
- ½ batch Hollandaise Recipe
- 100 g Baby Leaf Spinach optional
- 1 teaspoon White wine vinegar
- Fine Sea Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, and add the vinegar, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Slowly stir the water and create a vortex. Crack an egg into a cup then drop the egg into the centre of the pan.
- Poach for four minutes then remove using a slotted spoon, onto some kitchen paper. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Toast the sourdough and top with a little spinach if you want to use it, then lay on the smoke salmon.
- To serve, add the eggs and cover with Hollandaise sauce and season.